Approaching Kibworth Harcourt from Market Harborough along the A6 Harborough Road there is a lay-by on the left-hand side of the road nearly opposite Kibworth cemetery.
Before this lay-by was built the road had a sharp double bend designed to assist the horse drawn coaches navigate the incline as the road approaches the village. The double bend was the scene of frequent accidents.
A stream which flows from the vicinity of Carlton Curlieu to join the Langton Brook south of Kibworth Beauchamp passes under the Harborough Road and the lay-by at a point known as Rector’s Plantation. The land alongside, now Rectory Lane, was once a field that was part of the Kibworth Rector and parochial parish’s land.
On the 21st April 1834 at about midnight an accident occurred at Rector’s Plantation when an Express Coach travelling from Nottingham to London overturned at the sharp bends. Unfortunately, one of the passengers, Mr Michael Ingo aged 73 from Nottingham was fatally injured. His tombstone can be seen on the wall along the north side of St. Wilfrid’s churchyard (see below).
Kibworth Through Time by Stephen Butt
British History on line